From outstanding ideas we create outstanding games.
KOREA BOARDGAMES 2021 Design Contest
KOREA BOARDGAMES 2021 Design Contest
Thank you for your interest in Korea Boardgames 2021 Design Contest.
We would like to inform you on joining conditions, schedules and more details for the contest.
We await your participation with creative talent.
A life is a history of negotiations. In our daily routines we convince others of matters big and small, and at times we are the ones convinced. Some of us ask our parents for an increased allowance, or argue over the price of a product, or try our best to persuade our significant other how great a particular game is. We have all trained in negotiation. In board games, negotiation can be a minor mechanism or part of a larger theme. There is a charm in each successful negotiation that comes with a feeling of accomplishment.
We are excited to interact with creative gamers once more and look forward to find new interpretations of negotiation.
When you submit the game, be sure to specify your game with one of the following categories.
- Family Game :
It should be set at a difficulty that both children and adults can enjoy. Also, the maximum number of players that can be played is 4 or more, and the play time must not exceed 40 minutes.
Examples : Halli Galli, Cookie Box, Topito
- Family Plus Game :
It must contains more complex rules focusing on teenagers and adults. While it may have simple rules, in this case, the game should require complex thinking. The play time must not exceed 90 minutes.
Examples : Splendor, Catan, Four Gardens
- ETC :
Even if your game does not belong to the above two categories, you may freely submit the game if it include/s a special object or physical structure.
Document Submission Deadline : July 30, 2021
Preliminary Evaluation : August 2 - August 31, 2021
Finalists Announcement : September 1, 2021
Prototype Submission Deadline : October 8, 2021
Winners Announcement : November 10, 2021
- The July 30 document submission deadline cut-off will be enforced via e-mail time stamp and postal mark. Any submissions dated July 31 or later will not be accepted.
- Once the preliminary evaluation period has concluded, finalists will be contacted directly on August 31 and the finalists will be publicly announced on September 1.
- The public announcement will be posted on the following web addresses :
www.koreaboardgames.com, www.divedice.com, www.boardgamegeek.com
- Inquiry for the Contest : firstname.lastname@example.org
We will do our best to answer your questions; however, please understand that due to the large volume of inquiries we may be unable to respond to all e-mails.
- The game with only cards or too few components cannot be submitted.
- The game with over 2 hours of play time or extremely complex rules cannot be submitted.
- The game that has been submitted to other contests or already under/in the process of contracting cannot be submitted.
- The game or idea that infringe on other person’s copyright cannot be submit.
- The game with sensitive element in social issues or difficulty to understand universally cannot be submitted.
- It is still possible to be disqualified and have the rewards revoked if the game infringes on the above rules.
- A game that matches the topic of the contest.
- Pure creation with high possibilities to commercialize.
- Simple and fun to play
- Flawless and balanced rules
- Attractiveness for replay
- Must be submitted before the deadline (If not, the game will drop out of the contest.)
- All designers, both well-established and novice, are welcome to participate.
- During the preliminary round of submissions, a single designer may submit multiple game ideas.
- Gold Prize :
$1,000 USD cash prize and the possibility to publish the game with Korea Boardgames
(if later selected for a publishing contract, this $1,000 will be considered part of the contracts initial $1,500 advanced royalties payment. For the tax, see Additional Rules #3 and #4.)
- Silver Prize : $500 USD cash prize (For the tax, see Additional Rules #3 and #4.)
- Completed contest application (use this form)
- Simple game introduction (Length should not exceed 1 sheet of A4 paper)
- Game rulebook (We will only accept .pdf, .doc, and .ppt documents)
- 1-2 gameplay photos (if there is no prototype to photograph, supporting photos can include hand sketches, component pictures, etc.)
- Application documents can be submitted via e-mail or post.
- If sent via e-mail, please scan or take a picture of documents requiring a hand signature.
- Preliminary round E-mail submissions can be sent to : email@example.com
- Korea Boardgames will not reimburse any applicant postage fees.
- Preliminary round postal mail submissions can be sent to :
Laboratory, 2nd Office,
10, Yopung-gill, Tanhyeon-myeon,
Paju-si, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea 10862
- Only documents will be accepted during the preliminary round. Prototypes will only be requested from the finalists once they have been announced.
- Results and feedback regarding preliminary round submissions will not be announced nor provided on an individual basis.
- If a rulebook is determined to be incomprehensible upon first reading, it will be disqualified from the judging process. In order to avoid this result, please proof-read your submission and proof-read with others before applying to ensure your ideas are communicated clearly.
1. Authors will hold and maintain complete ownership of their ideas, documents, and prototypes throughout the entirety of this screening and selection process.
2. Any documents or prototypes submitted will NOT be returned back to authors. Please do not submit any material you wish to receive back.
3. Korean domestic winners will be subjected to public tax laws in accordance to Article 21 of the Corporate Tax Act and Article 33 of the Income Tax Law.
4. Any overseas winners will be subjected to a corresponding tax treaty between Korea and each country.
5. Korea Boardgames cannot, will not, and has no authority to publish any submitted content without the expressed written consent of the original author.
6. Korea Boardgames will contact, negotiate, and sign a legally binding contract directly with an author before publishing any part of material rightfully owned by that author.
7. If it is found at any time that material submitted by the applicant is not rightfully owned by that applicant, that applicant will be subjected to disqualification, removal of awards received, and/or repayment of any cash prizes received.
8. Korea Boardgames will not be held responsible for any packages that were sent, which were not requested for specifically.
9. Any applicant who fails to abide by any of the rules, regulations, guidelines, or instructions contained in this document will be subject to disqualification from the design contest.